Saturday, December 17, 2022

Lily Pad Pool


A few years ago I had the opportunity to do something amazing, so amazing that I can hardly believe it was real.

Along with four friends, I stepped off a plane, loaded into a van, and headed into the mountains of Indonesia for a week and half in the villages there.

This huge stone basin with the blue sky reflected in the water and lily pads spreading across its surface was one of the first things I saw as I got out of the van for the first time. We had stopped for lunch at an open-air pavilion that overlooked the greenest greens I'd ever seen. 







My weekly-ish art challenge was "Water Contained."  I thought about water in a vase or a glass... Water in a swimming pool or puddle... Water in a goldfish bowl or fish tank... Then I remembered this giant pool of water lilies. Even if no one else could ever quite figure out what it was a painting of, I knew this would be my "Water Contained" painting. 

Original Oil Painting Done with Palette Knife on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas.
Click Lily Pad Pool if you'd like to purchase this painting.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun trip that must have been, and to have that painting to remind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was fun... and hard and wonderful and hot and inspiring and... well, all the things!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous experience that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... It really was amazing. I have plenty of photos to remind me that it was really real.

      Delete