Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Old Barn & Fence in Summer


My weekly-ish challenge was "Barns" this time.  Now that (finally) is a comfortable subject to put on canvas!  When I started painting back in 2007, I painted a lot of barns.  I went back to look and do a little math.  About 1out every 15  of my first 350 paintings was a barn.  (Click HERE to do a quick scroll through of my barn paintings... There are a lot of them!) 
Then... I don't know why... I quit.   I've only done 2 or 3 out of the last 200 paintings. 
What a pleasure to learn that I was "assigned" to do another!

I found the reference image I used on unsplash.comThere were many barn images available, but I was drawn to this one immediately.  What a surprise I got when I went back to get the link and give credit to the photographer, Mick Haupt. He wrote "Exploring through the Ozarks with the family and had to stop and capture this rustic barn. Enjoy it and paint this scene. Rushing, Arkansas."
Oh, my goodness!  Well, no wonder I was drawn to it! It was taken right here in my own Ozarks! Thanks Mick!

Original Palette Knife Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
Click "Old Barn & Fence in Summer" if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

6 comments:

  1. This is so evocative. Reminds me of scenes from my childhood.
    Wow you did do a lot of barns - I especially like the second photo on that page. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me go back and look! Ha ha! Well, of course! I know that second one has a good home now!

      Delete
  2. What a peaceful scene you (and Mick) captured!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There's something about an old barn that simply calms my soul.

      Delete
  3. That is definitely a calming piece. It makes me think of taking a stroll and coming across this scene - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting that something built as a place for hard laborious work, to house smelly animals, and to hold harsh tools would give a sense of calm? Yet, somehow it does. Reminds me of how E.B. White describes the barn in Charlotte's Web.

      Delete