Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Underwater

Sea turtles seem wise like they know some secret of life. Maybe they do.

A few years ago I had the privilege of going to Indonesia.  One day there was a surprise side trip to visit a sea turtle preserve. It was an amazing thing to experience.  We even got to choose one little turtle and let him go.  They say that only 1 in every 1,000 make it to adulthood. It was oddly emotional to watch him crawl down the sand and let the waves take him away.  I hope he was the 1 that made it!



The WordSpark challenge this month was "Underwater."  I actually got my companion piece done first then had to decide what I could paint that would compliment her. I thought I'd do a fantasy/realistic, watercolor/oil, character hanging the the water with 3-4 little sea friends, similar color scheme... They didn't turn out quite as similar as I meant for them to, but I like them both.  
The mermaid is from an Ida Anderson Lang lesson that I first attempted a couple of years ago when I was just beginning to give watercolor a try in a LifeBook taster session
Original Oil Painting on 8"x 10" Wrapped Canvas
Click Underwater if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how fun, to let a little turlle be set free - but I would be a little emotional about that, too - hoping he/she is enjoying sea life! Both paintings are so cool, but I love the sea turtle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odds certainly aren't in a little turtle's favor, but this turtle preserve was doing some good things to help.

      Delete
  2. I hope your little guy/gal is enjoying the good life with happy memories of a good human. :) I like your likeness of the mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that they toughest part is getting out of the nest, down the sand, and into the water. He got those things done!

      Delete