Thursday, August 9, 2018

Apple Slices VI

An apple for the teacher...
Teachers went back to school this week.
I'm not a teacher any more.
So, what am I now?

I loved being a teacher for 32 years, but I finished. 
Not for a moment have I longed to go back, but it's a weird thing not to be a teacher any more.
So, who am I now?

I've been through several phases of figuring out this not-being-a-teacher thing. 
So, how many phases until it feels normal? 

One weird thing is that form you get at appointments:
Name ☑ 
Birthday 
Address 
Phone 
Insurance 
Occupation... sigh... What to put?  "None" or how about "Undecided" or just leave it blank?

Another weird thing was the last day of school this year. 
It marked a whole year... a whole year...
At first I wondered what I'd done with a whole year. 
Had I just piddled a whole year away?
So I made a list: 
  • Helped my dad settle into a retirement center
  • Pilates and yoga 3-4 times a week
  • Disney World with the kids
  • Started hanging paintings in the doctor's office
  • Three different crafting weekends at Welcome Home Retreat
  • Read the Bible through
  • Visited the Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, Sedona, stood on the Corner of Winslow, Arizona
  • Editing project for a petroleum consulting firm
  • Time with our daughter in Maryland
  • Present with Jolene in her last days
  • Cabin in West Virginia (lovely, but much like my own back yard which is free)
  • Spent a week in a hospital room with my sister
  • Monthly visits with Aunt Anita and helping her write her memoirs
  • Big trip to Indonesia where we worked in an orphanage, in village homes, and in several schools
  • Chickens
  • Garden
  • Cooking
Ok... Maybe I should stop beating myself up because of all the little jobs that I was sure I would get to right away... I suppose haven't been a complete sloth... 
But it sure has been wonderful to move in slow gear... work a crossword puzzle...  read a book... go to lunch with a friend... paint... scroll through Facebook... sit on the back porch and watch all that goes on...

So... I still don't know what to write in that Occupation blank...
...It's okay.

Original Oil Painting on 5"x 7" Wrapped Canvas
Click "Apple Slices VI" to purchase a little apple painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment