Monday, August 27, 2018

Splash of Lime II

A bunch of limes slices...
What can I say about limes?
As it turns out, I think I can say a lot about them.

I do not remember ever having a lime as a kid.  I don't remember my mom ever buying one or having one in the house.  We were pretty much an apple-orange-banana family. Honestly, I don't even remember seeing limes in the grocery store when I was little.

I remember the first time I fell in love with limes.  (Surely, it wasn't the first time I'd ever tasted one, but maybe.) Ron and I were at a Christmas party with people he worked with. (Yeah, that means I was an adult! And, it was at his current company, so that means I was at least in my thirties.)  The lady hosting the party was from Mexico, and the food was Mexican.  I remember there was a bowl of lime wedges on each table.  I asked what they were for.  She said, "Squeeze them on your food... on everything!"  I thought that was weird, but I did it... and LOVED IT!!!
Yep...
Just a little splash of lime on everything...
Changed my life!

Well, "everything" meant anytime I had Mexican food... until a few years later. At a family reunion, my nephew made corn on the cob.  Sounds pretty normal, right?  But... instead of butter and salt... he'd used cayenne pepper and lime juice!  What?  Why?  But, you guessed it... LOVED IT!

But wait!
There's more!
When I was in Indonesia this spring, they put a lime slice with everything too.  We had rice at every single meal, and beside that rice was what? A slice of lime.  Who squeezes lime over rice?  Well, Indonesians do, and now so do I... LOVED IT 
They also served a lot of watermelon there; a thin slice or two was kind of like the dessert at the end of the meals.  (Seeing them whole at the markets, they weren't the big long ones like we have, but little round ones.)  And on each watermelon slice was a little lime slice? Who'd ever think about squeezing lime on watermelon? I guess Indonesians thought of it. Mmmmmm.... So good. LOVED IT!

I don't drink. (Okay, full disclosure... tried it... twice... was not at all pleased with myself either time... decided that was enough of that. I have enough trouble behaving myself with just plain Coke!) Anyway, I don't drink, but if I did, I'm pretty sure my favorite would be a margarita... I think that's made with lime... wait let me Google that... ... ... yeah... a margarita would be my drink! 

I'm chuckling at myself for having so much to say about such a simple little thing and wondering which section I should scroll up and delete. Nah... I like them all.
Such a simple little painting, but I love it.  I rarely paint with so much blue, but it seemed right for the background of this one.

An Indonesian market -
You can see the limes in the front
and the little round watermelons at the back.

A different Indonesian market -
Same set up though.
Lots of limes for sale.
Original oil painting on 12"x 6" wrapped canvas.
[SOLD]

4 comments:

  1. Okay here we go again, M.I. stuff. Family apples orange bananas oh my ... check. Never really ate much limes pre-30s (or even 40s in my case)... check. It was key lime pie in Florida and using them in various new recipes and loving the sweet and tart which wasn't as pucker-producing as lemons (a flavour that I also quite like) that decided me. I will even put a slice in my water sometimes, especially when in Florida where limes are plentiful. Love the market shots. :-) Need to remember to put it on more stuff - oh! In our grocery store there are lime tortilla chips in the Mexican section that are to DIE for. Love the zip they add with the saltiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, I've had the lime tortilla chips... hard to put that bag down! Also there's a cranberry juice with lime added... yum!

      Delete
  2. Boy is this a paining of summer, so fresh and bright. Guess we better hold on while it is still here because it is going fast. I do indulge and lime is good in several drinks. I haven’t tried it on food, tried lemon but now I have to give it a go with the green slice. As always I love racing yiur stories!!

    ReplyDelete