Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Flamingo Reflection



Elegance & Simplicity... my favorite combination...

One evening as I was scrolling through Facebook (like ya' do...) I came to my friend Marquita's Christmas-in-Florida pictures.  I clicked to open then kept scrolling through (like ya' do...) when... Wait! Go back! Where was that one!  The next thing I typed was a quick private message to Marquita. "I love, Love, LOVE the picture of the lone flamingo with his reflection.  Would you give me permission to use that as a reference photo for a painting?"  Lucky for me, she must have been online doing her nightly scroll through Facebook, and she responded right away with a, "Yes, ma'am, you sure can."

Sometimes it happens.  
An image just calls out to be put on canvas.  
I love that. 

I looked through my paintings to find ones where that had happened, where I randomly saw an image and knew I had to paint it.
I wondered if there were some commonalities in what I loved so much that it was worth asking for permission to use it.
The daughter of a nephew.
Saw it on Facebook.
The daughters of two nieces.
Saw it in another niece's wedding photos.
The daughter and father of a friend.
Saw it on Instagram.

The daughter of a sister of a niece-in-law.
Saw it on Facebook.
A friend.
Saw it on Facebook.


My brother, sister-in-law, & their grandsons.
Saw it on Facebook.
Hmmmm.... It's pretty clear that I have a thing for images that show people from the back.
From a friend's hiking photos.
(A possum is my "spirit animal"... long story...)
From a blog friend's blog post.
From a blog friend's blog post.

From a blog friend's blog post.
From a blog post of someone I didn't know
(until I asked to paint his photograph).
So... Why did I find this image so captivating?
Elegant simplicity.  
Just one single beautiful flamingo... still water... no trees or reeds or waves or other flamingos or rocks. 
Elegant simplicity.

Original Oil Painting on 16"x 20" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. The lines are just great and I like the subtle reflections. When we lived in south FLA it was common to see them in the wild, ever so different than at a zoo even. They can be pretty noisy though. I never realized you did so many pics from the back. But each of them tell such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I am drawn to images that show people from the back. I'd like to think that's because it lends itself to a story instead of the fact that it's just plain hard to paint faces! :)

      Delete