Monday, February 11, 2019

Little Red Hen

Meet Red Red...
    Or maybe it's Other Red.
I can never be sure because they look exactly alike and are right beside each other all.. the... time!





Here's the thing...
We gave them names when we got them, but we always ended up calling them "The Reds."  I felt bad that they didn't have their own names, so we decided to make the red and the other red proper nouns. They became Red Red and Other Red.
At night Red Red and Other Red live in the Cousin House with Fancy while Sylvia, Dolly, and Monique live in the Sister House. They all hang out together during the day.
Red Red
She is funny and smart and brave.  As soon as I let them out in the mornings, she follows me right to the back door.  She's learned that if she's right there, I'll toss her a handful of treats.  She's happy to eat right out of my hand or stick her head down into the treat jar.  
Other Red
Ditto everything I just wrote about Red Red. Except for the times when one is laying an egg, they're together.


Fancy
What a little sweetheart.  She's gentle and timid and maybe a little slow.  She is usually waddling up about the time everyone else has just finished whatever treat I've just tossed out.  She's the easiest to pick up which is a good thing because she's never quite ready when put everyone else to bed.  We end up picking her up and putting her in the coop.
Sylvia
This one has the attitude!  We laugh at her all the time because she has a mind of her own. She's been a good mama twice though. We love the pretty blue eggs she lays for us.
Dolly
Dolly is kind of bossy, maybe even a little grumpy sometimes.  I think she wants to be head hen.  She was a good mama this summer.  You can see a little one under her.
Monique
The beautiful hen was that little baby under Dolly in the photo above.  She just began laying eggs of her own this week.  She's still pretty skittish, but she's settling in to being a grown up instead of the baby.


Here are the girls having a sunbath beside their houses. They're so funny.

I completed this painting during a painting retreat last weekend at Welcome Home Retreat in Weatherford, Texas.

 Original Oil Painting on 6"x 8" Wrapped Canvas.
[SOLD]

6 comments:

  1. oh so so cute! They are adorable! Love the attitude in the painting:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks! Well, The Reds have an attitude in real life, so I'm glad it translated onto the canvas!

      Delete
  2. You have been plenty busy and I love these girls. I didn't realize they were all different types. P Allen Smith is quite the chicken affectionato also, he has varities that are almost gone and is trying to bring them back. Guess being the city girl I didn't realize there are so many varities and that they could be so beautiful. I always find it interesting how each bird has their own personality. We have, I mean had, so many different types of birds at our feeder and they certainly used their personalities to dominate, intimidate and entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a farm girl for my whole life, but I've only had chickens for a couple of years. I'm learning as I go. I'm learning that the different breeds have different qualities (hardy in cold weather, good for meat, consistent layers, and all that) Honestly, I don't care about all that. I just love having the different colors and kinds. Who knew that chickens had such distinct personalities! They just crack me up all the time.
      As for the wild birds. We love them too. They (along with the squirrels) are messy at the bird feeders and knock seeds out onto the ground.... which makes that the favorite hangout for the hens!

      Delete
  3. Oops, forgot, are we getting more baby pictures soone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent you a few. She's such a sweetie! :)

      Delete