Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Be Careful What You Wish For...

At the end of winter or beginning of spring, we had an idea.  We thought it would be fun to hack a trail from one end of our woods to the other.  It would be like an adventure through the forest we could walk with our grandbabies.  We gave an attempt at making it, but the woods was just an overgrown impossible mass of vines and trees and weeds and briers and brambles.  In the end, we decided that it wasn't feasible for us to do.


Be careful what you wish for...

Yesterday morning...
A guy from the utilities department came by.  He said they needed to trim a path under the power line that runs through the woods from the highway. He acted like he was asking permission, but really he was just making me aware.  
They did it the year after the ice storm of the century in 2009.  Their plan is to do it every 5-10 years so that there will never be another time when so many power lines get broken by falling branches and trees.

Yesterday afternoon...
There was a cacophony of chainsaws inside our woods.  I couldn't see them, but there was no question that they were wasting no time getting to it.

This morning...
There was a noise of destruction like I've never heard before.  I can only describe it as a cross between Dr. Seuss's Super-Axe-Hacker from The Lorax and a mechanical version of the Tasmanian Devil.
 


I could see it through the trees a little bit.  It would drive into a pile of yesterday's debris and start chewing and snarling and biting and tossing and pulverizing.  

After a while I just had to have a look.  I walked through the 10 feet of woods and could not believe it...
I walked up the swath of devastation and watched the Tasmanian Super-Axe-Hacker work.  In only a few minutes the nice guy in an orange hardhat came down to chat.  I could only say, "Wow..."   He said, "This will all grow back.  We just have to keep a path for the power line. That machine throws a lot of stuff a pretty far distance."  He didn't actually ask me to leave (my own property), but the work did come to a halt until I did.  And, I noticed he kept an eye out that I kept going back. 

Perhaps you think I might be stretching this just a little bit. 
This is the view from my mailbox on the highway. 
See that pole on the right side?
Let me walk up the highway to that pole...
Now you see that pole on the left.
That empty space beside it... was forest yesterday.
Let's take a closer look, shall we?
And... there's the pole, safe from any tree branch, ice storm, or creeping vine.
Courtesy of the Tasmanian Super-Axe-Hacker, yesterdays trees are...
 ... today's mulch.
This was the sight I was met by when I walked through my woods.
If you enlarge it, you'll see the man in the hard hat keeping an eye on both me and the Tasmanian Super-Axe-Hacker.
Look carefully through the trees...
Do you see it?
That's the antagonist of today's story... The Tasmanian Super-Axe-Hacker!
We still have a beautiful view from our drive.
Okay... I know I've been dramatic.
But, seriously... It felt (feels) a little dramatic...
I suppose we did get our trail through the woods that we'd wished for.
There's always some wonder here on Serendipity...


And to think I was going to write about the platter-sized snapping turtle we saw yesterday.  She'd dug a little hole, was backed up to it, and was just dropping her third egg down into the hole.  
Sheesh... and I thought that was an adventure worth telling!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I'm glad it will grow back, but still it's always hard to see it look so different, right? Yikes, you were really close to that snapper. Glad she was too busy laying eggs to take a nip at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will begin to grow back, forests do.
      That turtle was pretty focused on her task. They're fast though. You only need to learn that lesson once.

      Delete
  2. I think I would have shed a few tears. At least they do a fairly clean job of whacking the trees down...around here they leave shredded trunks and stubs. How wonderful to see the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went through to actually see it, I didn't cry, but I did choke up and could hardly speak.

      Delete
  3. Just read several of your posts. Nothing like a fresh tomato sandwich...hubby loves it on white soft bread.
    Love your pretty painting...you are talented!
    Well, I would not have believed what that machine can do if you hadn't had photos to prove it. We clear trails here and it is very hard work what with the roots and all. That is quite the machine and it must have looked like devastation to you. But I guess your lines will be clear for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you stopped by! Most of my posts begin with a painting, but sometimes the day just has a story worth telling. I hope you come again.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    As for the tree chomping machine, I think the thing that was most shocking was how fast it simply changed whole trees to mulch on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I don't think you were dramatic since I would have been upset that they were destroying my property. I realize that they have to clear it but when you see your property being cleared like that..well I wouldn't like it.
    LOVE the turtle story. We don't have anything like that here.. only out East where my sister lives.
    By the way, I love your painting of the cows...EXCELLENT !!!
    Great post, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dramatic thing is how fast they can change a tree into mulch!
      As far as the turtle. It was a "wow moment" for us too. You don't just walk up on something like that every day!
      And, thanks for the kind words about the cow painting. It was a fun one.

      Delete