Thursday, June 4, 2020

Best Friends Forever


It's a special thing to reconnect with a dear friend, a kindred spirit!  What an unexpected pleasure to receive her message.  When she asked me if I'd do a painting for her, I said, "I'd love to!" before I ever even thought to ask what she had in mind.
She sent me the photo and told me, "Gus was there to greet her when she came home from the hospital, and she was at his side at the end."

Because we used to teach writing together, I knew she'd be willing to add her own words:
"This magical painting is an 8th grade graduation gift for my granddaughter, Lily, during the 2020 Pandemic. It had to be a special gift, and it surpassed expectations. Lily and Gus were together for 11 of her 13 years... keeping company through thick and thin. I knew that Helen knew me well enough to express that connection. She is a writer/artist who understands that creativity in any art form requires a process, a series of stages from drafting to revising, and finally the product. We nurtured our love of teaching writing together over 20 years ago! Turns out shared writing is a tie that binds friends forever! Helen, "thanks" is too small a word for helping to reignite not only our friendship but my love for the process! Truly serendipitous!" C.O. 
I do love an image that tells a story on canvas.  I think this one does.

I am using this painting as my submission to Inspiration Collaboration's inspiration image called Resting Place. It mentions the joy of finding things in unexpected places... a place where one can stop and rest... a place where something is put.  I decided this baby cradled against her best friend/dog fit the requirements just fine.

Sometimes our "resting place" is only complete with that special furry friend at our side.

Good dog, Gus. Good dog.

Original Oil Painting on 12"x 16" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. Timely post...tragically our dear friend John had to send his (and our) beloved Brandy over the Rainbow Bridge on Friday night. They are our daemons, our soulmates. Would that we, as humans, were more like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dogs (and cats) really are family, aren't they.

      Delete