Friday, October 16, 2020

Under the Billowing Clouds

Sometimes I really miss having an art teacher. I want to keep learning new ways to be a better painter. Although not the same as having my favorite art teacher / friend close by, YouTube can be a good substitute. Before YouTube, however, there were these fabulous how-to-paint books.  I've collected a few of them from flea markets and eBay over the years.
Can you see the price tag in the top right corner?
Woolworth $2.95. 
I flipped through the pages of this one looking for a lesson on painting some nice fluffy, happy, summer clouds. 
I decided to follow the paint recipes presented as as exactly as I could.  This painting used only 2 blues, 2 yellows, black, white, and a brown (for the house).
French ultramarine, cerulean, lemon yellow, Naples yellow, ivory black, titanium white, burnt umber.
The biggest lesson for me with this one was that lemon yellow + ivory black make the loveliest greens.  Who knew!!
Here's a look at the painting before I found "happy" in the clouds.  They were pretty angry looking for a while.

The Inspiration Image of Sara's beautiful stormy clouds on this month's Inspiration Collaboration is what sent me on the search for a lesson on painting clouds.

Oil Painting on Wrapped Canvas, 12"x 16"
If you'd like to purchase this painting, click Under Billowing Clouds.

2 comments:

  1. How do you assess whether the art book is a good one? The clouds look so realistic. It's another nice painting, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I guess if it has something I'm interested in and has steps, ideas, tricks that seem like some I can follow and use.

      Delete