Sunday, June 13, 2021

Reaching for the Stars

When I was asked to do a painting of my friend's granddaughter, she said I could choose the image.  There were about 5,895,421 gorgeous photos... okay, maybe only 50... to choose from.  They were all lovely, but this one was different.  It seemed to be an unplanned snapshot of Fiona filled with joy, leaping and twirling like only a young girl will do when no one is watching.

I asked my friend if she'd like to write something. Of course, she said yes...
Thank you, Helen, for creating a special memory painting for the magical moment in the life of granddaughter, Fiona, age 14.  This one was captured at her e2019 Bat Mitzvah party in Santa Moica.  You chose this photo, one of many expressive ones taken by Jenifer Whalen (jenniferwhalenweddings) to tell a story of Fiona.  The chosen title "Reaching for the Stars" epitomizes all those dreams she has for her future!  Love all the amazing stories your paintings tell!"
**I know I just called her "my friend." There's a reason. I have two women who I consider life changing mentors in my life... and they're both named Cheri!
Cheri Wollenberg is my art mentor, painting teacher, dear friend.
Cheri Olmstead was my writing mentor, teaching partner, dear friend.

**Thank you to @jenniferwhalenweddings for taking the beautiful photograph that I used as a reference.

Original Oil Painting on 12"x 16" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD
]

2 comments:

  1. You chose the perfect photo to paint! Just makes me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so. Sometimes an image just begs to be put on canvas. This was one of those.

      Delete