Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Field of Poppies

This was by far the largest canvas I've painted with a palette knife.  I was thrilled when I was asked to do it and couldn't wait to get started.

Now that I've done over a dozen paintings in this style, I wanted to reflect on what I like about painting in this way.
💖I love the laying the loaded palette knife on the canvas and swiping the paint off.
💖I love the way colors smear but don't completely mix together.
💖I love the challenge of making blobs and smears look like something more.
💖I love that I get to use up old paint that needs to be used up.
💖I love that it stays in the ugly stage a long time before the image begins to form.
💖I love the loose painterly look of the finished painting.
💖I love to glide my fingers across the texture after the paint is dry.


Original Palette Knife Oil Painting on 18"x 24" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. Another beauty! Using the palette knife definitely sounds fun, with all that texture and color!

    ReplyDelete