Thursday, August 18, 2022

With a Chick Chick Here and a Chick Chick There...


This is my lovely hen, Dominique.  When she was just a chick herself, my dad said, "Oh, that one's a "Dominicker." Her breed is usually called Barred Rock now, but I think Dominicker suits her.  

Dominique is a good mama.  She's raised three broods of chicks for us. Here's how it works: I know she's broody and wanting babies when she refuses to leave the nesting box for days.  I (along with my granddaughters) go to the store and pick out half a dozen chicks of different breeds. That evening after dark, I slip the babies under her one at a time.  The next morning she's clucking with protective pride at her new family.

Arkansas has a law, a real honest-to-goodness law, that says you have to buy chicks six or more at a time... not five... not three... not one... Six.

AR Code § 5-62-121 (2012)  (a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell or offer for sale, barter, or give away living baby chicks, rabbits, or ducklings under two (2) months of age in any quantity less than six (6).

So... hmmm.... If I only had to get six, why are there seven in the painting? My husband asked a similar question... "Why are there seven chicks here?" Really? Seven? Are you sure? Well, how about that! Hmmm... You know it's hard to put a tiny chick back once it's already in your hand and peeping... Seven is about six anyway, right?

Fun fact - You can tell what color eggs a chick will lay by looking at the color of its feet!



This painting was my response to my weekly-ish art challenge.  The challenge was "Our Feathered Friends."

Original Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. You are meeting the challenges well - this is another fun painting, seven chicks & all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. It always makes me happy to paint things I love.

      Delete