Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Garden Harvest (August 16-31)

It's still fun to fill my little gardening basket every day or two.  
  • Okra is definitely winning.  (Ron loves it. We'll see if he gets tired of it this year!)
  • Cherry tomatoes are a consistent handful.
  • Basil is producing lots.
  • Rosemary, chives, & oregano are pretty so-so... Maybe they'll perk up.
  • Cucumbers give us all we can manage to eat and I've made two batches of pickles.
  • Jalapenos are doing just fine.  (I had so many last year that I didn't use them all up and didn't plant as many.
  • Green peppers have been beautiful but not prolific.  I'm not giving up on them.  There are many that just need time to grow.  (I don't know why the orange ones, the red ones, the yellow ones, and the purple ones all decided to stay green.  Oh, well...)
  • Onions seem to be gone... but ah-ha... I planted some to try having a fall crop.  We'll see!
  • Regular tomatoes... I don't even want to talk about it... too sad. 
  • Eggs aren't exactly piling up. Poor little Twinkle is the only hen who's laying right now.  (The others are just freeloaders these days... one has babies to take care of... one is molting... two aren't quite old enough... and the four babies just run around after their momma.












     

    5 comments:

    1. Such colorful gatherings! I kinda like the simplicity of one egg. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's a lovely way to put it, but it's more fun to have a basked full of eggs to use and give away.

        Delete
    2. Oh I love this beautiful produce - and the lone egg :D Makes me miss our acreage when I see fresh produce. Our garden this year provided very little. How did you fare during the heat - lots of watering? Are you in the northern part of Arkansas? I bet you have great soil. Do you use chicken manure in your garden? Questions, questions - lol!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We did have way too many days over 100 degrees, but we were consistent with watering. Yes. Fayetteville is in the northwest corner of Arkansas. And, yes, we do use... what the chickens provide... to make the soil richer. :)

        Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete