Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Forty by February (Drawings 19-29)

Buff continues with his ever-present support of my drawing efforts.

I'm 3/4 of the way to reaching my goal of 40 drawings or sketches before February. 
You can see Drawings 1-4 HERE and Drawings 5-18 HERE.

How's it going?  Hmmm... That's not as easy to answer as it ought to be. 
I've tried to intentionally not reflect on my drawing adventure while I'm in the middle of it. Today, I however, I had some epiphanies.
1st - I got to spend all afternoon painting.  It was wonderful.  I worked through some problems my painting had been having, touched up some color, then declared it finished.  I was thinking how I loved to be in the art room painting once I'd finished all the day's "must do" jobs.  It hit me that drawing was on the mental must-do-job list... not on the what-a-pleasure list. 
Hmmm... 
2nd - As I was getting near the end of the day's drawing, I realized that when I'm drawing, I never "see the whole."  I'm so laser focused on the line below the eye or the smudge above the lip or the shading of the fold... that I don't take in the whole picture... just the pieces. Maybe that's why my drawings may look like a cute kid or pretty flower but don't look like the specific kid or flower or whatever.
Hmmm... 
3rd - Finally I determined that I am a terrible student.  I don't want to start at the beginning... drawing a ball or leaf or crumpled piece of paper.  Oh, no!  I want to jump right to a human face!  I don't want to listen to advice from someone who actually is an experienced drawer. No, I just want to get to it. 
Hmmm...
Sigh... Maybe just realizing these things will make a difference. We'll see how it goes with the last 11 drawings. 
Drawn from YouTube lesson
Drawn from black and white photo.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from color photo.
Drawn from color photo.
Drawn from imagination.
Drawn from YouTube Lesson.
Drawn from black & white photo.
Drawn from black & white photo.
Drawn as doodling around.
Drawn from black & white photo.

4 comments:

  1. Well, you may not enjoy drawing, but it is giving you time to contemplate things, and you are learning about yourself. I kept notes recently on one of my improv quilts and it was interesting to see what I learned about myself as I constructed the quilt. Those drawings are pretty impressive, if you ask me. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true. I am learning some things about me. Thanks. I'm going to finish this project!

      Delete
  2. Well appears that blogger has blocked me again, so this might have to go to an email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no... Wait... You're here, so you're not blocked!

      Delete