Saturday, January 29, 2022

Forty by February (Drawings 30-40)

Buff says, "You are my second favorite drawer.
If I can't sit on top of what you're working on,
I'm going to curl up here in my favorite drawer."

I did it. 
I reached my goal of 40 drawings before February. 
You can see Drawings 1-4 HERE and Drawings 5-18 HERE and Drawings 19-29 HERE.

Reflections:
  • There are some really good YouTube tutorials and teachers.
  • When I draw, I tend to focus on each line and pencil stroke and miss seeing the whole picture.
  • I simply do not enjoy drawing any more after a month of practice than I did when the project began. It was just a job I needed to get done each day so I could check it off the to-do list. 
I feel like I'm disappointing some people who've been encouraging this drawing journey, but I just have not come around to calling it relaxing or looking forward to getting out the pad and pencil or being excited about what I'd draw next. I just did it each day because I was supposed to.

The experience wasn't a great big negative; there have been some good things.
  • I've been very surprised at how well some of my drawings have turned out. 
  • A lot has been going on in real life. Unlike painting, my drawing kit can be picked up and done anywhere. That's been nice.
  • I'm sure I've learned some things that will help me as a painter.  Those skills will surely reveal themselves when I begin painting again. 
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from color photo.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from black and white photo.
Drawn from black and white photo.
Drawn from black and white photo.
Drawn from doodling.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.
Drawn from YouTube lesson.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you, finishing the 40! You've learned from the practice, and that's what matters. It's completely okay that you don't enjoy drawing, perhaps you'd never have known that fully had you not done this practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, there are things to celebrate in a goal reached.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on achieving your goal! Quite an accomplishment to start off the year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was a good way to begin the art year.

      Delete
  3. Well I have sure enjoyed watching you work through this course, and I am blown away by the reality of some of the 'simple' black and white drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see what translates to my painting once I begin again.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, you did it!! While doing so you learned a whole lot, probably more than you know. If it isn't your thing, it isn't your thing. World peace doesn't depend on it. So, pick up your pencil and use you computer, lightbox, window, etc. and trace to your heart's delight. Gets the sketch there, which you will repaint over again when you paint. Reflections I see, your proportions have improved a whole bunch, both animals and buildings. That is really hard. You did a whole bunch of subjects, some you wouldn't have tackled, maybe. You don't have to make anyone happy, only yourself and you have now proved to yourself you could/would do it. Yay Helen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelvia, thank you for those encouraging words. I think I felt that I needed permission and blessing not to enjoy it.

      Delete