Thursday, September 15, 2022

Carousel Ride

 


One of my granddaughters turned two in August, and the county fair just happened to be in town that week. 
Oh, my goodness!  The excitement!  How can a little person take it all in!  So much to see! There were huge cows and pigs of all colors and friendly goats and sheep wearing coats to keep them clean for their showings. There were so many roosters crowing and rabbits trying to sleep and turkeys not at all happy to be caged.  There were farm kids that even let you pet their animals!
Then came the midway! There were bright colors and flashing lights and whirling contraptions and happy squeals!
This little two-year old sweetie had eyes only for the merry-go-round. She went on the Ferris wheel with her momma and daddy, an apple spinner thing with her momma and sister, then wanted to spend her tickets only on the merry-go-round. She was living her best life high up and down on the white horse... get off... give more tickets... high up and down on the zebra... get off... give more tickets... high up and down on the giraffe... get off... give more tickets... high up and down on the brown horse... Eventually the last ticket was spent and it was time to go. Happy, happy, happy... well, after crying that all the tickets were spent... then happy, happy, happy.

***
*Fun Fact About Helen - I'm not a fan of horses.  Yeah... I'm kind of afraid of them, it's true.  They are so big!  Have you see how big their heads are! And they're smart enough to make their own decisions! I had a horse when I was a kid.  Bill. Bill Garfunkel Powell... a white Shetland pony... He was so cute. And, he was mean. He bit. He kicked. He stomped. He ran  away from us when he could. He was mean to the cows too. I know... probably not the best introduction to horses.
When I learned that my the Weekly-ish Challenge was "Horse," I kind of sank.  I did paint a horse once. I think I vowed never to try that again. What was I going to do? What kind of loophole could I find? How was I going to meet this challenge without having to paint a horse? Hmmmm.....

Original Oil Painting on 6"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[NFS - can't sell a painting with my granddaughter in it!]

*If you're worried, yes, she was safe. In the reference photo, my handsome son-in-law was standing and grinning right behind her on the ride. And, because I know he reads my blog... Sorry you didn't make it into the painting, my dear.😉

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, a grocery store had a horse to pet in their parking lot. It bit my finger. I have other horse stories through the years - none good. Nice way to find that horse loophole, and the painting will be enjoyed for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great respect and appreciation for horses. I just want to appreciate them from the other side of the fence.

      Delete
  2. That is a precious painting and a sweet story. I love Wendy's reference to this as a "horse loophole" - lol! Who gives you the weekly challenge?
    My horse stories were all good, although I've been afraid of falling the few times I was on one. We had horses beyond that backyard you painted so brilliantly, and they ate apples from the palm of my hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sweet little painting for a sweet little girl. My "weekly-ish challenge" is something my art mentor/friend and I do. It keeps us thinking and creating. It gives us an excuse to talk each week too.

      Delete