Saturday, November 12, 2022

A Miracle Named Millie

It's a happy day when I get an e-mail that begins with 
Hello, do you remember me? 
You did a painting for me a few years ago and I was hoping you could do another.
Well, of course I remember! What an honor to be remembered and asked again! 
When she reminded me of which painting, Someone to Watch Over Me, it all came back. Oh, yeah! This is the girl who wanted the painting with so many things that were symbolic or meaningful for a specific reason... 
Could you make the little girls overalls pink? Could you make it a fall scene outside? Could you put hearts on her shirt? Oh, and there needs to be a woodpecker somewhere in the painting...
My brain said, Ummm... Uhhhh...   My fingers typed, Of course, I can!  I'd love to. Then I immediately wondered what I had gotten myself into and wondered how I could pull it off.  But, I did meet that challenge and sent her a lovely meaningful painting that I LOVED doing.
So now she wanted another. Yay!
It's the same cat as before but the little girl is the little sister to the first one. Could you put gold hearts on the wall in the background? Could there be rainbows on the her shirt? Could my mum's special heart quilt be included? Oh, and there needs to be a woodpecker somewhere in the painting...
My brain again with the Ohhh... Ummmm... My fingers again typed, Of course, I can! I'd love to. Then again wondered what I had gotten myself into and wondered how this could even be done.  I told her that I'd need to think on how to do it, and she replied with more confidence in me than I had in myself.  Encouragement is a magical thing, isn't it.

I don't know exactly what all the symbolism means, but I know each request was important and for a reason. I LOVED doing it.

Original Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]
 

10 comments:

  1. You got it done! Yay! The woodpecker would've thrown me for a bit, but you nailed it. Such a cute painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was a lot of "figuring" that had to happen before a paintbrush ever touched the canvas. Do you recognize Sandra's quilt?

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm sure those paintings are not only treasured by the person who requested them but also by the two little girls... and will be into their adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is beautiful, Helen! I enjoyed seeing it and reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen! What a lovely post. To be asked again is so precious. To be asked again for such a meaningful project is priceless. And what a wonderful job you did. This will be shared from generation to generation, and all the symbolism will be forever captured. Only if they know the key! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! There is a little pressure to get it right when you know it's a meaningful one. It was a pleasure though.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful, meaning laden painting you created, Helen. It's so lovely and special. Your Gingerbread house is so sweet too.

    ReplyDelete